Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Religion and politics

Had an interesting conversation recently on various political subjects with someone.  Our political views were somewhat divergent.  I don't know that we made any huge strides forward, but we communicated our views. 

It greatly concerns me that in large part US politics are becoming a WIN-LOSE proposition. We and our leaders are not able to find common ground with each other. We no longer listen to each other, connect in meaningful ways, and compromise.

Even more so, it saddens me to see so many LDS people who are so politically closed minded that civil discussion is not possible.  What makes this country great is its diversity. What makes the gospel great is the diversity of people who can accept it. How can an LDS person think it impossible for a member to be a member in good-standing if s/he is not a Republican? Where does it say in the baptismal covenant that I have to be affiliated to a certain party to join the church?  Why do we judge our fellow members are not worthy if they do subscribe to our personal political beliefs?  Why are we so narrow minded?

It is with great interest I found this article from the Church. Maybe it is time to rethink politics and religion and who is allowed into our 'club.'

2 comments:

Cristina Karekar said...

I so much agree. I am concerned too of the way some people at church look at others who do not share their political views and it concerns me even more when it permeats even prayers in Sun school.

Bridgette said...

I suppose it is the natural man that is prone to demonize those whose views are different from our own. Not that it makes it okay, of course. Civilized discussion about controversial issues takes humility. The longer I live the more I realize how much I don't know. Who was it that said true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing?