Friday, March 28, 2008

What kind of car to buy?

As a boy I read Car and Drive magazine (among other things I did) which over time gave me the role as the family's 'expert' on cars.

I still like to follow the car industry and get queries from my family like the one below.

________________________________
Subject: Car blogs
From: Cory
Sent:Thu 3/27/08 4:07 PM
To: Kyle

Hey,

I ran across this site http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com. Do you have any other fav sites for reviews or insights into current model autos?

I'm looking for a car ... I am seriously considering a Ford so Papa will be pleased, as should you. Well, sort of...its a Volvo...but I'm sure you understand. I've been looking at a couple of used/certified S40'sand S60's.

I'm ready for a fun car to drive, but like the safety/reliability and ...the clincher....have a friend who is a Volvo mechanic...so I'm ready for anything.

Cory
________________________________

From: Kyle
To: Cory
Subject: Re: Car blogs

Ford is actually trying to sell Volvo as it is strapped for cash. As cars go, I still read CarandDriver.com (C&D) occasionally and usually use cars.com for my car research. I think you'd have a lot more success and enjoyment in a Mazda6 (another Ford, but much more fun to drive, just as reliable, and possibly cheaper).

In my mind Volvos aren't known for being 'fun-to-drive.' They are generally marketed towards women who want a safe, quazi-luxury, cushy-ride car. You might also look at the Nissan Altima. It came in #2 after the Accord on C&Ds list of top cars. It is more reliable than the Volvo, rates higher on C&Ds fun-to-drive list and isn't likely to end up owned by India's Tata motors (like Volvo may).

Later, Kyle

________________________________
Re: Car blogs
From: Kyle (email)
To: Cory (email)

The recent sources for my opinions: http://www.star-telegram.com/chambers_williams/story/517257.html

Check out the highs and lows.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/hatchbacks/hot_hatches_in_the_roaring_20s_comparison_test/2008_volvo_c30_t5

Kyle
________________________________

Re: Car blogs
From: Cory
To: Kyle

Thanks! No, seriously, you should put this on your blog as well.

Thanks for the info.

Cory

2 comments:

Paul said...

I wish I would have know about this hidden talent. I just purchased a new car, and I'm sure you could have helped make the process more pleasant.

I will refrain from asking your opinion post purchase. If I made a mistake, I don't want to know about it yet.

spadamchrist said...

There are also plenty of helpful tips and suggestions to save you time and money.Unlike toy remote controlled vehicles, hobby quality rc cars are tunable and very durable. But best of all, they possess the kind of speed and raw power that will really get your adrenaline pumping!RC cars come as both Ready to Run meaning that no assembly is required and in build-it-yourself kits. Gaining in popularity are Almost Ready to Run kits, which are kits that are mostly pre-built right out of the box.
--------------------------
jacksen
Interactive Marketing