Monday, January 5, 2009

A new addition to the family


We caved in and finally got a pet. "Slider" (a long-haired hamster) joined our family this past week as a Christmas gift from Mom and Dad to Megan.

The children have been clammering around the cage ooo-ing and ah-ing at every little thing the animal does. "It's getting a drink," or "It's awake!" or "It's in the food dish." The added level of family energy caused by the rodent is exciting. I am sure the poor little animal doesn't know quite how to deal with all the attention. I think it is still adjusting to its new surroundings as my attempt to pet it today only led it to posture in self-defense.

Time will hopefully allow this little animal to grow accustom to our busy lives and provide the play animal Megan was looking for. Until then, the boys will shake the table its on, Paul will announce in his loud voice hamster play-by-play's, and the children will gather round to gawk and a small rodent named "Slider."

2 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

I will pray for peaceful nights for you all. I remember moving my hamster to the far reaches of the house to get away from the sounds of the nocturnal beast and the squeaky hamster wheel. Oh the fun times. They are cute, but not the most cuddly pets...

Shawnie said...

Every pet has its downsides. The hamster is a compromise between Kyle and I. I was fine with a cat that lived outside, but Kyle thought it needed to be in the house. So I gave in and allowed a pet in the house if it lived in a cage, so all of its "issues" are contained. Thus the hamster. I also didn't want another responsibility, but Megan has been very good at taking care of the hamster.