Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hunker Down II

I feel I should add to Kyle's previous post. While watching or reading some coverage of Ike, I noticed that a reporter referred to "hunker down" as a peculiarly Texan phrase. As a native Texan (from the Houston area), I didn't know that; it simply seemed to be the perfect phrase to use given the circumstances. I asked Kyle if he thought it was Texan, and he agreed that it definitely was.

As far as Ike goes, yesterday we had light to moderate rain on and off throughout the day, and it was windier than usual. But it wasn't a significant event for us here in Mansfield.

My parents fared well. They have a few missing shingles and a few loose pieces of siding. Ike's move towards Galveston was good for them, putting them on the "better" side of the storm.

2 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

I'm really glad they're safe. I've been trying to think of who I knew in the area and your family came to mind. Glad you posted an update. Miss you guys.

TonyaKuykendall said...

Kyle, can you please explain how you got your nickname?