Friday, April 11, 2008

"Think"

A few weeks back while I was eating lunch, Shawnie had the radio tuned on to a local NPR radio show called THINK. The local host has guests on from around the country and world to discuss topics which are important to local listeners.

One day they had a Doctor on talking about technology. So I emailed in a question. I was suprised that it made it on the air...I guess they were desperate for questions.

The link to the whole podcast of the Think episode I submitted a comment to is
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510036

Whatever the case, I didn't like the answer given. He essentially said that technology doesn't or won't play a role in the care of patients. Not a very forward thinking doctor. To be fair though he was talking about care of the aged and his answer made some sense. However, if embraced, technology could improve care. Examples: electronic health records, PDAs and other devices which doctors can carry around to access information, monitors tied to web applications to give access to patient information online from anywhere, kiosks for registering at the hospital (think airport kiosk), clinical intelligence systems, and many more.

I look forward to a future where technology provides many more benefits to the care I receive.

No comments: