Thursday, May 1, 2008

Polygamy

As I have been talking with people lately, I’ve been surprised by how many people are not aware that Mormons do not practice polygamy (and have not for around 100 years).

As I have tried to put together this post or explain the complex issues in simple terms, I’ve come up empty, so I'll refer to someone who hasn't had such challenges:

My simple statement is: I am a fifth generation Mormon. I grew up in the church (in Utah), I attend church just about every week, and I’ve never seen or met a polygamist Mormon!

If you have any questions, please ask…whatever the case, please know that I don’t have a dozen wives, one is plenty enough for me.

I’ll also share this link to the most recent proclamation of doctrine by Mormon leaders regarding family relations. It reiterates the change in doctrine and practice adopted 100 years ago and defines marriage to be the union of one man and one woman.

No comments: