Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Here I Am

Kyle has emailed me multiple invitations to contribute to his blog, and he keeps asking me when I will do it, so I guess I will try today. I don't have much to say. I am just busy trying to keep up with everyone.

My big breakthrough this week was going grocery shopping with the three children home during the day. (Kyle has been handling that since Erica was born.) I have been worried about how to manage both Erica and Paul and still have room in the cart for the groceries. Paul is simply too young to walk (I would spend the whole time chasing him), so he has to be strapped into the seat. If I'm just getting a few things, I could put Erica's car seat in the cart, but that doesn't leave enough room for a week's worth of groceries for a family of seven. So Monday morning after the girls went to school, I fed Erica, made a quick list, got the boys ready, and headed off to Wal-Mart. By the time we got there, Erica was looking drowsy. I put her in the Snugli and headed inside. She quickly went to sleep in the Snugli, Paul happily rode in the shopping cart while he practiced putting the cap of a pen on and off, and Joshua helped put the cans in the cart. I even spent some time going through the clothing clearance racks and found some things for the kids. A successful shopping trip!

Actually, the grocery shopping problem illustrates the hardest adjustment to Erica's birth -- Paul's young age. Paul and Erica are only 16 1/2 months apart (the next closest are Megan and Josh, and they are 23 months apart), so I can't do things the same way as I did with the others. Previously, I would have had the next youngest walk at the grocery store, but now that doesn't work. Church also presents some challenges. Paul can now officially go to nursery, but he isn't happy there without me or Kyle because he is not familiar with the people. So either Kyle or I am in nursery with Paul, and the other one has Erica. Add in trying to fulfill our callings for Kyle in Elders' Quorum and me to play the piano in Primary, and we are constantly juggling. No wonder Brittany, Megan, and Josh sometimes feel like they don't get any attention. Actually, it is a good thing that they are so willing to help. Whether it is holding Erica, helping Paul get something, or just waiting for their turn, I am grateful for all their help. Brittany has even been helping Paul get his breakfast, since the two of them are usually the first ones up in the morning.

Despite the necessary adjustments, I am glad to have Erica, and Paul, and Joshua, and Megan, and Brittany. Each one enriches our lives and our family.

2 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

I miss you. Come visit soon and I'll help you wrangle the kids...

Sophia Crane said...

It was nice to hear from the woman of the house. It sounds like you have yourselves a juggling act going on. I am glad that Brittany & Megan & Josh have been so helpful, adding a new baby to a family is a big enough adjustment, but when you throw in the closeness in age it can present an even bigger struggle. Glad to hear that things are working so well.